BECOME AN OPPORTUNITY NETWORK FELLOW
WHO WE ARE
The Opportunity Network is a unique six-year career development program for motivated and goal-driven high school students looking to:
- Examine personal values, skills, and passions for college and career exploration;
- Get exposure to over 25 career tracks;
- Make personal connections with peers, professionals, and contacts in higher education;
- Apply to four-year colleges or universities;
- Build resumes through paid internships or special enrichment opportunities; and
- Develop a lifelong network of support leading to finding a “best fit” college or university and rewarding careers.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
All students that are currently enrolled in the tenth grade at a New York City high school regardless of immigration or citizenship status.
Students that have demonstrated academic commitment. Our current Fellows reflect their academic commitment by taking challenging course loads. Most of our Fellows came into our program with a GPA of 87 and above.
Students who identify as a member of a historically and systemically underrepresented community.
Students that are pursuing their hobbies and interests with passion and energy.
Applicants should not already have access to the kinds of resources, services, and opportunities the program offers such as intensive college counseling and application assistance, mandatory summer programming that conflicts with OppNet’s Summer Institute, or participate in programs such as SEO, Minds Matter, or Breakthrough.
Applicants must be self-motivated to join a challenging peer network and commit to OppNet as their primary extracurricular.
WHAT WE DO
- The Fellows Program begins with a mandatory Summer Institute for incoming students (rising juniors). Afterwards, from the beginning of junior year to the end of senior year, students participate in weekly afterschool workshops focusing on networking, professional skills, and career exploration. Special activities throughout the year include field trips, guest speakers and panels, and The Opportunity Network’s signature Speed Networking event. Most class sessions and activities take place at OppNet’s offices in Lower Manhattan.
- Through the summer opportunities program, juniors and seniors participate in paid internships and fully funded unique enrichment programs all over New York City, the United States, and the world. Many students are placed in a range of internships gaining real-life experience in a variety of roles and industries. Other students have received full scholarships to spend the summer on a college campus or travel to Europe, Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
- The college guidance program supports students and families throughout the college selection process and includes college visits, SAT/ACT prep, and individualized advising on admissions, financial aid, and scholarships. In recent years, 100% Opportunity Network Fellows have been accepted to four-year colleges and universities and just last year, 95% of the senior class’ financial need was met.
Want to apply to be a Fellow?
Our application is LIVE and you can find it at tinyurl.com/FellowsApp2018. Please be sure to read our “Application Packet” (in English and Spanish) to ensure you are completing all portions of the application.
For a refresher about us and eligibility requirements, please read the “About OppNet” one-pager.
Still have questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.