BECOME AN OPPNET VOLUNTEER!
Throughout the year, OppNet has a number of events and workshops where you can engage with our talented students and offer up your professional and career advice. Here are a few highlights of our recurring opportunities:
Derived from the concept of “Speed Dating,” this interactive and engaging session provides students with opportunities to apply what they have learned from networking training. In short intervals with volunteer members, students will practice their personal elevator pitches, exchange business cards and network, before the buzzer signals the next move.
FELLOWS PROGRAM: OppNet hosts four Speed Networking events on weekdays for our Fellows program each year: one in November (high school juniors), one in early January (college students), one in March (high school seniors) and the final one in May (high school juniors).
Please see below for typical Speed Networking requirements and details:
- Duration per workshop: 90 minutes (typically from 6:00 – 7:30pm)
- Number of students per session: 100 to 140 high school students or 75 to 100 college students
- Number of volunteers per session: 30 to 75 volunteers
OPPNET PREP: OppNet hosts one Speed Networking event for OppNet Prep students (high school freshmen) each year inMarch.
Please see below for typical Speed Networking requirements and details for OppNet Prep:
- Duration per workshop: 90 minutes
- Number of students per session: 50 to 100 high school freshmen
- Number of volunteers per session: 50 to 60 volunteers
Volunteers are matched one-to-one with students in a classroom session to work on editing resumes using Microsoft Word. Students then use these resumes to apply for summer internships. Partners typically host OppNet students in one of their on-site computer labs so that students can leave the workshop with electronic and paper versions of their resumes.
- FELLOWS PROGRAM: OppNet hosts eight resume workshops for our Fellows program each year from November to January: four for high school juniors and four for high school seniors.
- OPPNET PREP: OppNet hosts eleven resume workshops for our OppNet Prep program each year in December and April: three in December and eight in April for high school freshmen.
With the guidance of an OppNet facilitator, students learn the basics of a successful internship interview, from preparation all the way through to follow-up. Students are also matched up with volunteers to practice simulated interviews. Partners typically host OppNet students on-site in a conference room or event space with tables and chairs. OppNet hosts eight interviewing workshops each year from January to March: four for high school juniors and four for high school seniors.
MICROSOFT OFFICE WORKSHOP
As students are pursuing competitive internship and employment opportunities, they must demonstrate proficiency in the most commonly used software applications, such as the Microsoft Office Suite. Partners typically host several workshops on-site at their computer lab and enlist designated volunteer instructors to teach MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint basics. OppNet hosts eight MS Office workshops each year from March to August: four for high school juniors and four for high school seniors.
Please see below for typical workshop requirements and details:
- Duration per workshop: 90 to 120 minutes
- Number of students per session: 30
- Number of volunteers per session (Resume and Interview Workshops only): 30 or 15 volunteers for two consecutive one-hour shifts
- Number of volunteer facilitators per session (Microsoft Office Workshop only): 1 to 2
INDUSTRY-SPECIFIC CAREER EXPOSURE PANELS
Throughout the academic year, OppNet assembles a number of industry-specific career panels to increase OppNet students’ (both Fellows and OppNet Prep) awareness and exposure to various companies, fields and positions. Typically, the panels consist of four to five professionals who work in the field but in a variety of different arenas and roles. The panel discussion itself will be no longer than 45 minutes, with 30- to 45-minute small group sessions following. Career Exposure Panels are held from 5:00 – 7:00pm for OppNet Fellows and 4:30 – 6:00pm for OppNet Prep students.
Please see below for the industries that we typically cover over the academic year:
- Human Resources
- Green Careers
- International Careers
- Public Service
- Management Consulting
- Communications/Public Relations
- And more!